Over recent months and years the Pentland Hills Regional Park (PHRP) has suffered from irresponsible wild camping, antisocial behaviour and a significant rise in car park usage, causing problem parking in surrounding areas. The PHRP team is proposing a series of actions to mitigate these issues:
- Enhanced traffic and parking facilities / controls at four car parks
- Development of active-travel alternatives
- Creation of Warden position with formalised camping area and toilets at Harlaw Reservoir
- Provision of additional toilet facilities at four car parks
- Introduction of parking charges in order that PHRP can continue to maintain Park infrastructure
PHRP submitted two grant applications to the Visit Scotland Rural Tourism Infrastructure Fund (RTIF) in order to carry out the above proposals. We also ran a public engagement exercise. PHRP will be guided by the comments from this exercise.
The exercise was advertised on this website, on social media, and at all of our main car parks. There was a large response from the public and local residents.