Over recent months and years the Pentland Hills Regional Park (PHRP) has suffered from irresponsible wild camping, antisocial behaviour and a significant rise in car park usage, causing problem parking in surrounding areas. The PHRP team is proposing a series of actions to mitigate these issues:
- Enhanced traffic and parking facilities / controls at four car parks
- Development of active-travel alternatives
- Creation of Warden position with formalised camping area and toilets at Harlaw Reservoir
- Provision of additional toilet facilities at four car parks
- Introduction of parking charges in order that PHRP can continue to maintain Park infrastructure
PHRP have submitted two grant applications to the Visit Scotland Rural Tourism Infrastructure Fund (RTIF) in order to carry out the above proposals. PHRP will be guided by the comments from this exercise, whether or not the applications are successful.
The results of this engagement exercise will be presented at the next PHRP Joint Committee meeting. The Joint Committee will make the final decision as to which proposals should be carried forward, taking into account the results of the exercise.