The Regional Park covers a large area, with many access points throughout Midlothian, Edinburgh and West Lothian council areas. The most popular entrance points are via Flotterstone Visitor Centre, Harlaw House Visitor Centre and Bonaly Country Park.
An array of buses will take you to, or near, one of the following access points:
- Flotterstone Visitor Information Point and café – take the Houstons 101 or 102 (link to PDF timetable), which also stops along the rest of the A702 down the south-east side of the Regional Park
- Hillend – catch the 101 or 102, or take Lothian bus 4 or 15
- Swanston – Lothian 16 or 27 to Hunters Tryst
- Bonaly – Lothian 10 to Bonaly Terminus
- Torphin – Lothian 10 to Torphin Terminus
- Harlaw House Visitor Information Point – take the Lothian 44 to Balerno Terminus. See our public transport leaflet for information on directions from here.
There are no bus services to the north-west side of the Regional Park along the A70. There are no train services to the Regional Park.
Please download our leaflet How to get to the Pentland Hills by bus.
The following access points into the Regional Park have bicycle stands if you wish to lock your bike and go for a walk or run: Threipmuir car park, Harlaw House, Bonaly Country Park car park, Swanston car park, Hillend car park (upper), Flotterstone car park.
Walk or wheel
There are many footpaths leading into the Pentland Hills from the surrounding towns and villages. Find out more about Core Paths in each local authority here: City of Edinburgh Core Paths, Midlothian Core Paths, West Lothian Core Paths, Scottish Borders Core Paths.
We have ongoing issues with car park capacity, so encourage visitors to access the Regional Park by public transport, cycling, walking, or taxi. The following list of car parks / drop off points include some postcodes for navigation:
- Carlops: car park, free
- Nine Mile Burn: car park, free, EH26 9LZ
- Kirk Road End: car park (lay-by), free
- Flotterstone Visitor Information Point and café: car park, £2 donation, EH26 0PP
- Boghall, car park, free, EH10 7DX
- Hillend Upper, car park, £2 donation EH10 7DU
- Swanston, car park, £2 donation EH10 7DS
- Dreghorn, car park, free (currently inaccessible due to works)
- Laverockdale, street parking, free, EH13 0QX (please note this is a residential area and you should drive and park considerately)
- Bonaly Country Park, car parks x 2 (lower and upper), £2 donation EH13 0PB
- Torphin Quarry, street parking, free, EH13 0PQ
- Harlaw Visitor Information Point / Reservoir, car park, £2 donation, EH14 7AS
- Threipmuir Reservoir, car park, £2 donation, EH14 7JS CLOSED FOR UPGRADE WORKS UNTIL MID-END NOVEMBER
- Little Vantage, car park, free
- Harperrig Reservoir, car park, free, EH27 8DH